Thursday, March 31, 2011

White Sox Preview


As I have mentioned previously on this site, I hate the White Sox and specifically, AJ Pierzynski, but I think the White Sox are for real this year.  I really think they have a good all around team with the exception of Morel at third.  I don't know anything about him, but the Sox do not need him to be good to win this division.  I think the Sox win this division by atleast 5 games and win around 90 games.  They have some pop at the top and some balance. 

Starting Pitching : I think you can pretty much pencil in the numbers for these starters with the exception of Humber/Peavy.  I think the top 4 will all win atleast 13 games and give the Sox quality starts on the reg.  With Buehrle, Floyd, Jackson and Danks this team is primed to make a legitimate run at the Red Sox in the AL.  Danks is my sleeper Cy Young pick for this year.  The Sox need to sign this guy long term before he signs a 15 mil a year deal with the Yankees.    Anyways, if Peavy comes back and is anything like his previous self the Sox may win the division by 10 games.

Relief Pitching : With Thornton Crain Ohman and Pena to lock down the 7th, 8th and 9th this team will not blow many leads.  OH  YEA, and what about Chris Sale who was absolutely dominant last year.  Kid looks like a young Matt Thornton, but better because it didn't take him 7 years to figure it out like Thornton.  I realistically think that this bullpen could be the best in baseball if Thornton has the mentality to close.  If he doesn't Sale, Crain or Pena could step in and give it a try.  All are an upgrade to Jenks in my opinion.  The Sox have some serious power arms in their pen and Ohman who is murder vs. lefties. I need to stop gushing or I'm going to vomit.

Defense : Not too strong in my opinion.  Konerko is average, Beckham and Ramirez up the middle are error prone.  Ramirez is the type of shortstop who makes the great plays and will botch the routine plays.  I have no idea if Morel can dig it at third so I'm not going to pretend I know.  The OF is horrendous with the exception of Rios who is decent.  Pierre may have the weakest arm in baseball, and Quentin is just awful, but Rios is a real leader out there and the OF defense should not really cost the Sox more than a win or two. Some people may take issue that I said the Sox OF is bad and the Cubs is good defensively.  With Fukodome, Colvin and Byrd they are solid and as bad as Soriano can be, atleast he can wing it.  As far as AJ is concerned, I do believe he calls a great game behind the dish, but he is weak sauce defensively.  To be fair though, what he lacks in arm strength and blocking ability, he makes up for it with his game management. 

Offense :  This team will probably lead the majors in HRs.  Adam Dunn is going to hit 40-50 HRs and really excel at the Cell.   He is the prototypical DH.  I do think Konerko will have a bit of a drop in his numbers from last year but not significantly enough to be a reason for concern.  I think Beckham is a big key for this team as well.  He needs to bounce back this year. Last year, I think it was his fault this team didnt make the playoffs.  He was horrendous the first half of the season and I think, like Ramirez on the Northside, cost him team the division.  He did seem to make some adjustments in August and September, but it was just too late.  I think Ramirez and AJ will be steady and solid for this team.   CQ is also a question mark, but again, I do not think he makes or breaks this season for the Sox. If he can hit 25 and drive in 80, it will be all good because he will not be counted on like he was in the  past. 

Sox win 90 and lose in the ALCS. Thats my call.

No comments:

Post a Comment