Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Human Victory Cigar

I heard someone on the radio call Brian Scalabrine the human victory cigar and I just thought, damn, i wish I would have come up with that because it may be the best nickname ever created.  He truly is a victory cigar. He provides almost zero value on the court, but he is best friends with Thibs so it all works out.  Nonetheless, you have to love the Cigar's attitude.  In the new Sports Illustrated, Scalabrine has some great quotes referring to D-Rose.  
"I'm way cockier than he is," says Scalabrine, "and I never play."
and
"They are the guys who get you the need baskets," says Bulls reserve forward Brian Scalabrine, referring to the vital hoops that stop runs and close out games. "I have a different word for killers. I call them mother-------. And right now, Derrick Rose is the baddest mother------ in the league by far. He is the reason we win."

The guy just totally gets it. Now while it would appear that Scalabrine is some super old veteran, he is actually only 32.  He is pretty much the next Adrian Griffin, but not good at basketball at all. AG could at least contribute during his career. Scalabrine on the other hand has never average more than 6.2 PPG, and for the better of his career he has averaged around 2 PPG.  Somehow, he has managed to stay in the league even though contributing almost nothing on the court.  He must be the coolest dude in school. Total clubhouse guy who just cures cancers and gets it out of the locker room.  To conclude, I'm glad the Bulls brought in Scalabrine in and I can't wait til he's sitting next to Thibs in a suit next year helping coach this team to a repeat title.

1 comment: