Wednesday, March 30, 2011

NL Preview - Repeat- Too Much Tim

Yesterday I looked at the AL, today it is time to take a look at how I think the NL will shake out.  Let's start out in the NL East.
NL East - Everyone seems to think the Phillies are the favorite in this division.  I believe that this division will be won in the last week of the season by the BRAVES.  I think they will edge out Phillies with a much lower win total than most people may expect. 87 wins.  This Braves team has a great young lineup and pitching staff. They have great leadership in Chipper Jones, and I fully expect this team to make a serious run this year in the postseason.
2.) Phillies- Just too much pitching not to finish second in this division.  This is a lineup that is getting older and more fragile though.  I believe that this team is completely overrated.  Who knows when Utley will be back and Rollins continues to take steps back every single year.  I also see this team getting very little from their OF offensively this year.  85 wins
3.) Fish - Great young pitching and hitting.  I see this division being a two horse race between the Braves and Fish in the years to come.  Just too much beating up on each other this year for a second team to come out of this division.
4.) Mets - Horrible pitching, decent hitting. still better than the Nats
5.) Nats- Bad at everything.  maybe in a few years this team can make some noise.  Werth and Zimmerman don't do anything for me though.

NL Central -
I got this division going to the Brewers. I think their lineup and 3 top of the rotation starters put them in front of the defending division champ reds, the cubs and the cards.  Greinke, Marcum and Gallardo is a pretty good top 3. the 4 and 5 starters are weak, but they will manage.  I know Greinke may miss some starts but, I just see him and Marcum dominating this year.  I think the Brewers could win 90 games this year behind that pitching and Braun and Fielder. Fielder is in a contract year so I'm expecting huge numbers.
2.) Cubs - Wild Card - I think the Cubs sneak into the playoffs this year with 87 wins. I know you probably think I'm a homer, and you're right but I still like their chances this year. They have quality starting pitching and a much more balanced lineup.  I believe this team with Quade in charge will be much more focused and have a lot more fire.
3.) reds - I think they take the step back that I expected them too all of last year. I didn't see it last year and I don't see it this year.  I like what they bring offensively in that ballpark but that pitching still shouldn't scare anybody. 
4.) Cards- Pujols Holiday and a whole lot of nothing other than Chris Carpenter. No Wainwright, no chance
5.) Pirates - Bad.  I do like McCutcheon though.  Dude can stick and plays a great CF. Kevin Correia is starting on opening day.
6.) Astros - Gross.

NL West - Giants-  How can you not pick the defending champs.  Rotation too stacked not to repeat in this division.  Oh yea, and everyone else stinks.
2.) Dodgers.  Consistently average over the past few years.  I love their young OF, but I don't think Kershaw, Billingsley and Lilly are enough to get them passed the Giants
3.) Pads/Diamondbacks - Really bad.  They might as well just not even play the games in this division.

NL Champion - Giants - TOO MUCH DOMINANT PITCHING

No comments:

Post a Comment